Thursday, March 28, 2013

The work life balance...

The first few years of work for me were all about - working hard and partying even harder. Life was fun, packed, exhausting and work was all consuming. And then I grew up a little bit and wanted more.

Some time away from work. For other stuff. The mundane kind. To bring some sort of normalcy in my life. But the profession I am in - did not quite allow that. A one day weekend was all I had. Which was over even before it had started.

After about 7 years, I moved countries and was exposed to a slightly more civilised way of working. Where a saturday and a sunday was considered a proper weekend. It took me some time to adjust to all this time. I began to love it. And then I got so accustomed to it that I forgot about my 'one day weekend' life!

And now I can't think of not having a two day weekend. Anyway, enough about that. The work life balance has become more and more important to me over the years. I like being able to switch off and do the everyday stuff without being pinged with emails and messages and phone calls. I appreciate the time I have to myself, for my home, my life. Sometimes I waste all of that. I spend all that time on a couch. In front of the TV, watching episode after episode of a show I am following. But it isn't time wasted for me. It is perfect. Mind numbingly so.

But these days I am struggling with the work life balance. I am all over the place in my head when I have some time to myself. I start one thought and it leads to another before even finishing, and at work - all I can think about is putting my feet up and doing nothing.

Is this how things are going to be? I don't like it.
I am already stressed about how I will balance work and life. Because life will change. For sure. And drastically. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment